Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Garlic ~ Goats ~ Guineas


I'm really hoping for a good year with the garlic , the garlic didn't do well last year due to drought conditions. We had more rain Sunday and we're suppose to have rain coming on Thursday. It's time to fertilize , I'll be spraying the plants with fish emulsion next week. If all goes well I hope to start selling at the Farmer's Market this year.


I think the girls have decided that they don't want kids or maybe I'm wrong and they're not pregnant. They're beginning to make me second guess myself , but I'm pretty sure their udders are filling with milk.

I decided that we didn't need 15 guineas around the farmette , so I listed the 8 that were hatched in the Fall on Craigslist last week. Last Friday I had a lady come and purchase 4 of them for tick control , she said ticks were awful at her home and last year the doctor removed a tick from her youngest daughter's eardrum and she really needed something to help get them under control. I'm happy , I know they've gone to a good home and will help rid them of their tick problem.
~ Blessings ~
JoyceAnn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That garlic looks great! I'm still using the garlic I harvested last year. That is such a great feeling. I thought maybe you had kids when I read the title--they do have a way of just getting bigger. If you have a stethoscope, you might be able to hear a heartbeat. Sometimes it works and sometimes the girls are too wiggly.

Teresa

Lib said...

Your garlic looks Great!
Hope the goats kids soon for you.
Have a great day!
Blessins',Lib

Flassie's Fil'a said...

I wonder how long it will take to kid, now that their udders are filling with milk.

Hope your garlic harvest will be abundant and you have much success at the Farmer's Market!

I haven't moved yet. I am preparing and don't know where I will be living yet.

God Bless You and Yours!!!

Hidden Haven Homestead said...

Don't give up hope on the goats. Hayley surprised me this morning with a healthy buckling. After all those weeks of discharge and a little dilation this morning at feeding she was eating and didn't look anywhere near ready to deliver. Less than a hour later she had her baby without any help from me. LOL I am going to plant my first garlic this fall. I have never planted it before because my daughter in law always kept me supplied. They moved and she is having to start again on growing so thought I would give it a try.