Tuesday, May 19, 2009

~ Happenings on the Homestead ~

We've been busy around the homestead , cleaning flower beds ~ fertilizing fruit trees ~ fighting snakes ~ harvesting wild herbs ~ picking strawberries , pulling weeds , shoveling compost and the list goes on and on.

I froze most of these berries and made a strawberry cobbler , it was sooo ...... good. We are planning to go this weekend and pick more berries to make jam.


The blueberry bush I moved has a few blueberries on it this year. I need to cover it with netting so the birds don't get them. The other two bushes died , I plan to replace them this Fall.


The hens have really grown , they're clucking and starting to develop their own personalities. I let them free range while I'm working in the garden , they love digging around in the compost bin. I think some of them will start laying next month or July , I can hardly wait for fresh eggs.




Yesterday I found my first black snake in the chicken coop , sooo ....... he's a goner , Shadow had fun with it after I killed it. Dh moved some steel and tires that were near the coop last week , it was under that stuff. He wanted to kill it then , but I told him not to , thought maybe it would head for the woods.




I found 2 guinea eggs last week , she had laid them in the pathway to the chicken coop , they didn't have a shell , guess it would have been a double yolk. I think it was her first time laying , so maybe they're just beginning to lay eggs.





Doing Not Thinking Update ...... I didn't get anything done in the kitchen. I did start a list of things that need to be done , so I guess that's a start.



~ Many Blessings ~
JoyceAnn








1 comment:

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Yipes! Don't want to have
an encounter with a snake!

Wow those Strawberries look
great!

What a fun place to live.

God Bless You and Yours!!!