Friday, June 12, 2009

~ Garlic Galore ~

We've been busy digging garlic this week , the garden wagon sure came in handy.

The garlic didn't do as well as it did last year , but looking back at my garden journal , we planted it a couple weeks later and had to harvest about 3 weeks earlier , due to the weather. We've had hot summer like weather for the last month or so , and the bottom leaves were dying , so we had to harvest earlier. It's not as large in size , but we have about triple what we had last year.


Yesterday I graded most of the garlic , small , medium and large. I really enjoyed this part of the harvest , being outside under the shed , watching the guineas and listening to the birds singing , so peaceful.



~ Small ~

~ Medium ~


~ Large ~



Bundled and hung to cure !




In about 2 weeks it should be cured , then it will be time to clean it up and store it. I'm considering selling garlic at the local farmer's market later this summer.

~ Garlic Blessings ~

JoyceAnn

4 comments:

Carol Murdock said...

Wish I lived near your farmers market...I'd buy some of that!
I'm reading up on goats myself,
as I want to have a milk goat.
You are doing a fantastic job it looks like getting back to the basics! :D

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Carol , I wish you lived near by too , we could learn about goats together. I hope to get a few goats this Fall or it maybe next Spring , depends on fencing and such.
I'm heading over to visit your blog , hope you'll visit again soon.

~ Many Blessings ~
JoyceAnn

Anonymous said...

How do you bundle garlic? If the stalks were tied, don't these shrink as they dry?

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Annette ,
What's up with the new format on your blog , I've tried to leave a comment at least 3 times , but they won't go through. Any idea as to why , do I need to sign-in or something.

I just tie 10 or 12 together with twine , then I drape them over the line , through the middle of the bundle. I haven't had a problem with hanging it this way , it's so bulky , that it's doesn't slide through (HTH).

~ Blessings ~
JoyceAnn