Friday, June 26, 2009

~~ Clay Pots & The Guinea Chase ~~

( May 26 ' 2009)



A new visitor to my blog asked about the clay pot irrigation and how it was working , so I decided to do an update. I went back to my garden journal to check dates , it's been 1 month exactly since I added the clay pots , the photos really tell the story. The corks I used to plug the holes have worked great.




( Week 2 )


I've added water about once a week , but the clay pots have never been completely dry.







( Week 3 )


By week 3 they were blooming and starting to develop tomatoes.







( This Week )


The vines are loaded with tomatoes , they're about 3 ft tall , they've filled those wire cages up.




Ms Guinea is still sitting on her nest , she comes out ever once in awhile , but doesn't stay out very long. I've placed food and water under the log for her , but sometimes all the water is gone , not sure if she drinks it or tips it over. I got a view of her eggs last week while she was off the nest , I think there are 28-30 eggs under the log , I wasn't able to get an exact count and I didn't have my camera with me.




Late yesterday afternoon , I went out to check on the hens and Ms. Guinea , Ms . Guinea was off her nest. She's been coming out around 1 or 2 in the afternoon when she ventures out , but doesn't stay off the nest very long. So I thought it was unusual for her to be out that late , I watched her as she headed back to the nest , she was trying to get in on the backside. I thought she was upset because I had the backside blocked or maybe a snake had got to the nest , after awhile she wandered off so I went over to check the nest out. One of the logs had rolled and blocked her out , so I pulled it out of her way so she could get back in. Just as I was standing up I saw her charging at me , I took off running , looked back and she had her wings puffed out and was coming after me. I realized if I kept running she would probably keep chasing me , so I whirled around , stomped and yelled at her. She stopped and ran back to her nest. We've been laughing about the guinea chase now , but it wasn't funny at the time , guinea can run very fast and fly up to 30 mph , so I doubt I could have out run her (LOL) and I've read they have a horrible bite. I hope she wasn't off the nest to long , guess we'll wait and see.





~ Homestead Blessings ~
JoyceAnn








2 comments:

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Yikes I am glad you didn't get
a peck. That beak looks wicked!

Good thing you turned around and
showed her who's boss.lol!

To bad she didn't realize you
were only trying to help.

Oh that is so cool how the
clay pot irrigation works!

God Bless You and Yours!!!

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Flassie , I'm happy I didn't get pecked too. Hope you're having a wonderful weekend !

~ Blessings ~
JoyceAnn