Thursday, March 18, 2010

~ Hugelkultur ~



I've found a new blog I've enjoyed reading over the last few weeks , it's called ~ Chickens On The Porch ~ , her blog is listed on my sidebar if you would like to visit. . Callie writes about her chickens and many other things , awhile back she mentioned a garden method called " kugelkultur " . I read the link she had on her blog , it really captured my interest as I'm creating a new garden bed this year. After reading more info on this method , I've decided to try this method on the latest garden bed I'm starting. You can read more about this garden method here ~ http://hubpages.com/hub/Hugelkultur-Using-Woody-Waste-in-Composting ~.

Earlier this week , Dh and I boxed in the garden beds near his garage. The bed to the side of the garage receives the most sun , but the bed on the backside doesn't. I plan to plant some herbs and veggies that like partial shade there , this is the bed I'll be trying the kugelkultur method with too. I found this wonderful link about what types of plants do well in partial shade , you can read about them here ~ http://www.rickharrison.com/texts/info/shade_tolerant.html ~. Next week I plan to clean the area and put down sticks and rotted logs , I'll add some chicken poop straw and a layer of leaves over that. The last layer will be mushroom compost and some dirt. I think the chicken poop has broken down enough that it won't burn the plants. Looking forward to seeing how this method works.
~ Green Blessings ~
JoyceAnn

3 comments:

Lib said...

Thanks for the info.Love you using every in. of space to garden:o)
Have a Great day!
Blessins',Lib

Callie Brady said...

Wow! You are ahead of me! I still have more planter boxes to make. Thank you for mentioning me on your blog! Hope the new way of making the beds works well for us! I'm going to dig out the beds today. Some of them at least.

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Thanks for sharing the links.
Looking forward to seeing how
it all turns out!

Thanks for stopping by and
sharing the info!

I would of thought I would
caught something myself when
I ride public transit. So many
people coughing and sneezing.

I've felt a few times I was
coming down with something.

I took my 2,000 milgrams of C.
It usually stops it as long as
I catch it in the beginning.

God Bless You and Yours!!!