Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Around the Farmette Last Week .......................

Last week was a busy one , the week started out with Dh and I cleaning out the dark and dingy basement. I got things organized down there and cleaned out a lot stuff.



On Tuesday Dh made the rows for the garlic and I planted 2 rows on Wednesday. Now I need to get it mulched.


The guinea keets are doing well , they graduated to the chicken coop a couple of weeks ago and have adjusted well. They're starting to get their dots and they're skittish little things , they always huddle up in a corner when I feed and water or try to take a photo (LOL).


I gathered some bark from the shag bark hickory trees the other day when I took the goats for a hike. I've been wanting to try to make some shag bark hickory syrup.



I made a couple of pints on Friday as a test run. I wanted to taste it and see if we liked it before making anymore. I used dark brown sugar that I had on hand when I made this batch , it tasted like molasses when I tasted it the first time. But , after it sit for a couple of days I can taste the hint of it's nutty flavor. I plan to make it a little different next time , I will infuse more bark and add light brown sugar.




~ Many Blessings ~
JoyceAnn



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have been really busy. I am still just amazed with the shag bark hickory syrup. Those keets are really getting big.

Teresa

Anonymous said...

Ya'll still have good weather there. Its cold one week and cold the next here. So confusing-lol. Your farm looks so good.

AkasaWolfSong said...

I bet your syrup would be good for sore throats maybe?

The keets are adorable and are so big already...they don't take long to grow right up do they?

You have been one busy woman as always...

Sending blessings on the gentle breezes JoyceAnn!
xoxo

Flassie's Fil'a said...

What do you use the syrup for?

Glad the keets are doing well!

Busy and a Bee in a Hickory Tree!