Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Latest Project .............................

My Mom grabbed this lamp shade a few months ago at our recycling center. She knew I was in need of one , little boys are rough on lamp shades. I've been through a lamp shade with each of my grandsons , they love to pull , tug and spin them.



I like the shade , but it just didn't go with my decor. So I decided to alter it with some techniques I use to make altered books. I grabbed the gesso and gave it a couple of coats to cover the ivy.


I used the toilet paper technique. I started with a cream color , spread the paint on a paper plate , then you take a piece of toilet tissue and start dabbing away. Let it dry a bit and add more colors if you like. The tissue leaves little bits of tissue which gives it a wonderful textured look.


It looks so much better in my living room , the ivy doesn't scream " look at me " when you walk into the room (LOL). Sorry for the terrible pics , I think it's time to recharge my batteries or maybe it's actually time to buy some new ones.

Have you upcycled anything lately ?

~ Many Blessings ~
JoyceAnn


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your "new" lampshade. I generally just let things go until I have to throw them. Not the best, but I don't have that artistic patience. Love that you are so creative and talented.

Teresa

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I'm upcycling some uuuuuuuuugly wooden TV tables - going to decoupage nautical charts on the tops and glue thin-ish rope around the edges for more nautical look.

I love your lampshade - I might try that on the living room lamps to go with the nautical theme - in blues/greens for a watery look. Thanks for the great idea.

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Teresa ~ It's a really easy process , really doesn't take much patience. Thank-you for your lovely compliment.

Hi JoAnn ~ I bet those tables will look wonderful. I've got a nautical table lamp that I need to redo too. I'll probably create a lamp shade for it also. You could glue the same type rope that you're using on the tables , around the lamp shades , that would look great too.

~ Be Blessed ~

AkasaWolfSong said...

Such a cute lampshade JoyceAnn!

I don't know if I could do something like this? You'd have to give me very specific directions...I'm one of those who has to watch and then can do it, I think.

Anywho...I love the colors of your new repurposed shade! :)

Be Blessed...

Flassie's Fil'a said...

I like the new look to the lampshade! Lovely!

I picked up that movie at the
library in the kids section.
It is not your usual type of
movie. It is narrated.

I need new batteries also.

God Bless You and Yours!!!