Wednesday, September 02, 2009

~ In the Kitchen ~







Each time I think this harvest season is over , something else appears that needs canning , pickled or froze. My uncle brought my Mom a wash tub of okra , so we pickled okra yesterday. We also cut , sliced banana peppers and bell peppers that needed preserving. These pickled banana pepper rings are very easy to make , just cut into rings , stuff jar , fill with vinegar and keep in refrigerator. They're delicious on beans , burgers , in salads and make a sandwich taste special. We sliced the bell peppers and froze them , they'll be used for stir-fries.
I also dehydrated some apple rings and bananas , the dried apples are sooo good , but the bananas are to sweet. I'll use less ripe bananas next time , maybe they won't be so sweet.
~ Harvest Blessings ~
JoyceAnn

4 comments:

Vickie LeBlanc said...

I've only cooked with okra once. It's not something we grow around here, not hot enough. Your family will have plenty of food for the winter (actually, for 2 winters) :-)

Peggy said...

You have been very busy! I just shucked 40lbs of corn... now off to freeze it

J C said...

Oh Joyce Ann, all that yummy food EXCEPT...I just can't get into okra. Ewwwwww! LOL sorry but it's too slimy. Not to mention hairy. Love that chicken photo and the potato cheeks are too funny!!

JoyceAnn said...

Vickie ~ I haven't had much luck with growing okra , the deer love it when it starts shooting up and I've had a hard time getting it to germinate , but I keep trying :)

Hi Peggy ~ Enjoy that corn !

Hi Judie ~ Great to hear from you , we love okra fried southern style , it's not slimy when fried with a little canola oil.

~ Blessings to All ~