Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Huge Time Capsule ....... The Attic




I've been up to my elbows in boxes this week , we decided to clean the attic. We've lived here almost 27 years and have never removed anything , only added more stuff each year. We've only been through about half of the stuff. I'm trying to recycle as much as I can , some of it will go to the recycle hut at our waste management facility. The better items will go to our local thrift store that supports our schools. The cardboard and paper stuff will be used for starting fires in the furnace. But unfortunately we still have some that has to been trashed , I've tried to lessen our ecological footprint over the last 5 years , so I really don't like sending stuff to the landfill.



There are a lot of memories stashed up there ....... sport plaques ....... brownie /girl scout sashes , school work ............



and magazines ........ I kept asking myself ..... Why did I keep all of these magazines ?


The kids art work , birthday cards and postcards ............



Cute art .......... girl with a upside down umbrella and the arm to hold it was added as an after thought ( LOL ).



Lot's of books ................



and a few toys .........................


but we haven't got to the toy dept. yet ,

as my Dh told my Mom yesterday ( LOL ).


We also found a few old items that were stashed away up there too. It's been a walk down memory lane for sure. I just can't part with the sentimental items , so I plan to buy 4 totes, one for myself , Dh and my 2 daughters to put all of our keepsakes in. They'll be like gaint time capsules in the attic.


Attic Blessings

JoyceAnn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how it's so easy to accumulate so much stuff. I really need to go through my closets also. I applaud you trying to keep as much as possible from the landfill.

Hidden Haven Homestead said...

I am trying so hard to declutter and downsize. Things just seem to multiply overnight. Like the tote idea.

JoyceAnn said...

Thanks , Teresa !

Hi Peggy ~ I'm starting 2012 by decluttering and getting rid of stuff we don't need. Stuff really does clutter up fast , plan to be more mindful of keeping things from now on.

AkasaWolfSong said...

You might want to hold on to those older Fisher Price toys...they are worth money! Maybe some of the mags are too? I made a haul on magazines at one rummage sale I had a few years ago...I had lots of vintage magazines that one woman went crazy over.

I've been getting rid of stuff each year...even when you live by yourself things can add up fast. I too donate to Clothes Closets, Salvation Army and the like...they are always welcome to get needed items. And let's face it...one man's trash is another man's treasure.