Friday, November 28, 2008

~ Blackberry Tincture Making ~

Blackberry ( Rubus fructicous )
Blackberry roots should be dug in the Fall , be sure to wear gloves (heavy duty leather ) while digging and cutting roots from the stems. I took the water hose and jet sprayed the roots to get the dirt off. I also washed them again , brushed with a dish washing brush and rinsed again before cutting them up.


I used kitchen shears to cut the roots into 2 or 3 inch pieces.




I cut them down through the middle , as shown above.





Then I snipped them into smaller pieces , packed the baby food jars 3/4 full of root and added vodka to fill jar. I use 100 proof vodka for my tinctures.

Cheap vodka is fine for making tinctures , you can use vinegar if you prefer. Make sure the roots are completely covered with vodka or vinegar.


Be sure to label with type of tincture , date started and I put the end of six weeks date. Store in a cool dark place for six to eight weeks.

After six/eight weeks , strain , bottle and add label. Tincture should be stored in a cool , dark place and used within two years.

Blackberry tincture is a great herbal treatment for diarrhea. The tannins have a astringent effect on the intestinal lining. Take a teaspoon of tincture in a cup of water every two to four hours.

~ Green Blessings ~
JoyceAnn


2 comments:

Lib said...

Hi Joyce ann,
Neat idea. I use alot of home meds.
Have a great day!
Blessins',Lib

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Oh, Thanks I've been waiting for this tincture!

Thanks for stopping by.

God Bless You and Yours!!!