Wednesday, July 15, 2009

It's a keet , keet , keet , keet !


~ The Proud Parents ~


~ Under Mommas Tail Feathers ~

~ Proud Poppa on Guard ~


~ Poppa Peeping In ~

~ 4 Little Keets ~

Dh spent the weekend building a holding pen for momma guinea and the young keets. I thought we had 28 days , but later read it could be between 26-28 days. I was expecting them to hatch around the 13th. Saturday evening when I went to check on her , I found a small keet had drown in her water bowl. We left her on the nest Sunday , Dh needed to finish the holding pen. Monday I slid the pen up near the log and pulled the board out that was in front of her. She jumped out and I got a glimpse of the nest , there was another dead keet and about 5 eggs that had not hatched , I wonder what happened to the other eggs. I saw 1 live keet , peeping out from the grass. The momma guinea went back to the nest after about 10 minutes , I waited to dusk to put some logs between the holding pen and the nest. Yesterday morning when I went to check on her she was in the holding pen with 4 baby keets. I hope to keep them there for a couple of weeks. The Proud Poppa has been guarding them during the day , he stays close by , he tried to intimidate me a couple of times , but I just stomped at him and he backed off , now he doesn't pay me much attention . I 've got to get some plywood or something to cover the cage at night , we have a predator ..... more about that tomorrow.
~ Homestead Blessings ~
JoyceAn




3 comments:

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Tweet Tweet So Sweet!

They are so cute!
Sad you lost two
of them.

God Bless You and Yours!!!

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Oh how cute. Baby animals are so wonderfully adorable.

JoyceAnn said...

They are soooo .... sweet and adorable now , it's amazing to see how much they change from now to adulthood.

~ Blessings ~
JoyceAnn