Saturday, August 23, 2008

~ Homemade Vanilla Extract ~



I found a new blog that I've really enjoyed reading and learning from , check this site out http://womennotdabbling.wordpress.com/ if you're interested in homesteading , homemaking or just want some delicious recipes to try. There's a peach salsa recipe posted today , that sounds mighty delish. I'm planning to try that recipe soon.


Kathie posted a recipe for coffee liqueur August 17th on the site above , it caught my attention and I thought I would like to try it. I've also been wanting to make my own vanilla extract flavoring for awhile , but haven't found vanilla beans locally. Kathie suggested giving e-bay a try for vanilla beans at a good price. I bought some from The Organic Vanilla Bean Company , check them out at http://www.organic-vanilla.com/, it's a certified organic vanilla bean company , received my beans today in the mail. They smell wonderful , so I got started making the vanilla extract. I slit 4 of the beans length wise and then cut them in 1/2 inch pieces , added the beans to a pint of 100 proof vodka , put the lid on the jar and labeled. It will be stored in a dark , cool cabinet and I will shake it everyday if I remember (LOL) , can be used in 30 days or left to flavor for 3 months. I will probably let my sit for 3 months , then strain and bottle it. I've been paying 8.00 for a 12 oz bottle of pure vanilla extract , I'm sure I'll save money making my own and the flavor will be much better.
I've got to get some instant coffee and more alcohol to make the coffee liqueur , so maybe next week I can get some of it started.

Hope you'll checkout their website , it's wonderful and I think you'll enjoy it and maybe learn something too , let me know if you visit them and what you think about the site.

Well , I'm off to snap some green beans and freeze them , there's not enough to mess with canning them. Hope everyone's having a wonderful weekend.


~ Blessings ~
JoyceAnn

1 comment:

Kathie said...

I'm so glad you're giving it a whirl. The vanilla extract is so much better and cheaper than the store bought stuff in my experience!