Thursday, February 18, 2010

Around the Homestead & Chores

Yesterday after lunch , I spent most of the evening outside doing a few chores. I cleaned the chicken coop and put down fresh straw.

That made the hens very happy , they were scratching around like mad. I let the new hen out of the crate , the roosters attacked her , but she ran and found a safe corner. The hens weren't very nice to her either , hopefully today will be better. Tomorrow , Dh and I will be picking up 5 more hens.



I put the chicken poo filled straw in my herb/garden bed. I'm trying to build the soil up in that bed. Fern , the little red hen just had to see what was going on , she's my most curious hen and will jump in the middle of whatever I'm doing to get a better view , she hopped up on the wheelbarrow as I was heading back to the house after finishing up , guess she thought I had a wheelbarrow full of treats (LOL).


After finishing my chores , I walked around and took a look at the garlic , it's peeking out in the garden bed near the garage. The garlic in the big garden is looking good , I need to add more mulch to it soon. My spinach is still living , it must be very cold hardy to make it through this winter. , this year was the first time I've ever grown spinach. We've had the coldest winter on record in thirty years or more. On a better note , 30 more days til the 1st day of Spring , Yay !

So ........ what's going on around your homestead ?

~ Green Blessings ~

JoyceAnn

7 comments:

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Oh, no! Poor chickie!

Here is a link that might help
with introducing new chicks.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/introbird.html

God Bless You and Yours!!!

Flassie's Fil'a said...

PS. If you click on the paper
recycling link I added a cute
paper recycling link to Creative
Kismet's catapillar book totorial.

God Bless You and Yours!!!

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Flassie ~ I blopped over to check-out that link , it had some good information. I put her in a small pen this morning , I saw a hawk in a tree near the coop this morning , so I decided she needed to stay in that small pen today. I tried to put her on the roost tonight with the other hens but they're still pecking at her , so I moved her back to the crate. Next time I will wait til it's darker and they've settled down for awhile. Thanks , for the link.

I'm heading your way now to check-out that caterpillar book.

~ Be Blessed ~

Callie Brady said...

Your coop looks beautiful! Great idea to move the bedding to the garden I will try that out. Love the new shoots. Pretty.

One way to introduce new hens to a flock is to put the new hens on the roosts with the old hens after the old hens have been sleeping for a while.

They are all supposed to better accept the new hens when they wake up together. Maybe they just think they haven't seen the new girl because she always slept on another roost? LOL

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Eeeeeek, I hope the new chick will be part of the gang soon ;-) Nothing much but snow around our parts. We get all excited when we see a small patch of lawn or gravel. Enjoy your weekend.

Carol Murdock said...

JoyceAnn.
I'm with you on the 30 days till Spring! We have had a really cold winter down here and I'm hanker'n to play in the warm dirt if it ever warms up ! LOL!

Callie Brady said...

Thank you very much for the tip about the heating pad. I think I will give it a try.