Tuesday, February 16, 2010

There's a New Kid (Chick) in Town



Yesterday afternoon , Dh went to pick-up this new hen. She's a partridge rock , she has beautiful coloring and is about 3 months old. On Friday we'll be picking up 5 more pullets to complete our young flock. I plan to sell a few eggs this year , hopefully enough to pay for feeding all the chickens.
The roosters are doing well , I haven't heard Chief Little Roo crow yet but Geronimo has been crowing everyday , he crows in the afternoon too (LOL). They're finally coming up to me as I get their feed ready , before they would stay a few feet away watching and wouldn't eat until I started back to the house. They haven't shown any signs of aggressiveness yet. The egg laying is starting to pick-up again , although the two hens that were molting haven't started laying yet. The hens have produced eggs all winter , but some days I only got 1 egg , then 3 or 2 the following days. This past Saturday and Sunday I got 4 eggs each day , yesterday there were 2 and today 3 . Well , in celebration of the extra eggs , think I'll have egg salad for lunch today.
~ Many Blessings ~
JoyceAnn

4 comments:

Flassie's Fil'a said...

Geronimo is strutting his voice and sounding off who's territory it belongs to, no doubt and making it perfectly clear to Cheif Little Roo who's wears the Crown in this Little Flock.

The afternoon Geronimo is probably making flocking calls. Got to keep those hen's in eyes view or at least know where they are at.

That is such a cute idea to use for coloring pages. Could use it for journal pages too. I seen on Judy Wise blog her using paper bags to make a journal book.

God Bless You and Yours!!!

Callie Brady said...

That hen is beautiful! I love finding eggs! Our hens are beginning to lay too.

Anonymous said...

Your new hen is a beauty. Cannot wait to have a few of my own.

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Flassie ~ I think you're right about the roosters , Geronimo does wear the top head dress.

Hi Callie ~ I love gathering the eggs too.

Hi Annette ~ Hope you're able to get chickens soon , you'll love them.