Thursday, March 19, 2009

* Asparagus *~* Strawberries *




I bought my asparagus and strawberries last week , they arrived yesterday. I'm looking forward to get my asparagus bed started. My Dad always had a small patch of asparagus , basically enough for him and my Mom , we kids didn't like it. Over the years I've developed a taste for asparagus and love it. So , I decided it was time to get my own asparagus bed started. I'll be planting 15 Mary Washington asparagus crowns , as soon as I get my raised beds ready. Here's a great link with info about asparagus if you're interested ~ http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/asparagus1.html.



My paternal Grandmother raised strawberries and sold them. We lived across the road from her , sometimes we helped pick the berries. They were small and delicious , nothing like you get at the grocery store or at the strawberry farms these days. She sold them for .50 a quart , already picked , her business was brisk during the season. She loved working with her berries , she would be out there everyday with her sun hat and hoe , weeding that patch. I hope my strawberries grow as well as hers , it'll be great to have homegrown berries again. I've got 25 Red Chief Strawberries to start my strawberry bed with. I bought my plants from http://cgi.ebay.com/15-Red-Chief-Strawberry-Plants-Free-Ship_W0QQitemZ300295845929QQihZ020QQcategoryZ20536QQcmdZViewItem they have great prices when you consider the quantity, you may want to check them out.




~ Green Blessings ~
JoyceAnn

1 comment:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

OH - lovely garden things for spring. We are still rainy and soggy and cold - but I love to think of the berry season. We live in the middle of strawberry, raspberry and blueberry farms - we get their berries for 16.00 a flat - about 8 quarts - so much better tasting right out of the fields - and so much cheaper. Enjoy your asparagus and berries.