Monday, March 02, 2009

~ Homemade Bread & Vegetable Beef Soup ~







Yesterday was a very raw day , cold , rainy and the snow started coming down last night. We awoke to a couple of inches of snow this morning , it's beautiful to see everything snow covered again , but I'm ready for Springgggggg .............. the garlic still peeks through , letting me know that Springggg ............ is almost here.

Other than checking on the chicks and guineas , feeding them , the rabbit and dogs , I stayed inside. I was going to the grocery store , but changed my mind and decided to make do with what I had on hand. I gathered up 5 quarts of canned veggies and browned some ground chuck with garlic , threw everything in a large pot and let it simmer. Then I tried making french bread again , my first attempt was a complete failure , a few weeks ago. The bread didn't rise and was sooo heavy , not sure what I did wrong . I thought maybe the water wasn't warm enough to make the yeast work or maybe I didn't give it enough time to start working. So I made sure the water was warmer and let it sit longer , until it was bubbling well. The dough did rise and the bread was good with the soup.


I plan to make this bread soon , found the recipe on Mother Earth News at this link ,http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx?utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email&page=4. I've seen on a few blogs , were the bloggers had great success with this bread , and love being able to keep it on hand , to make quickly.



Hope everyone had a great weekend.






~ Many Blessings ~
JoyceAnn

5 comments:

Patrice Farmer said...

I'm shivering looking at the pictures. That bread looks good.

Vickie LeBlanc said...

Yum, that bread looks delicious Joyceann. Don't you just love the smell of bread baking. I love Winter, I love snow but I pretty much have had enough of it right now. Bring on Spring !!!!!

JoyceAnn said...

Welcome Patrice , It has been cold the last few days , I've shivered a few times.

*********************************

Vickie , I did love winter , but the older I get , the less I like it. The bones ache , sinuses react to the changing temps ~~~ I'm ready to Spring Forward !!

Peggy said...

No snow for us but it sure has been cold and I am enjoying sitting by the woodstove. Have a great week!

JoyceAnn said...

Peggy , We're still snow-covered , love the outdoor woodheater , but would love one inside to snuggle up to.
Stay warm !

~ Blessings ~
JoyceAnn